In need of a name for a new sunbird in 1831, Irish zoologist Nicholas Aylward Vigors turned to Elizabeth Gould. Mrs. Gould was the better half of the better known John Gould, famous today as the father of Australian ornithology. John Gould was a self-taught English ornithologist, who published a number of major contributions, and played a key role in setting Charles Darwin onto his path towards writing On the Origin of Species. It was Gould who first noted the ground finches likely represented a new, previously unknown group. Few ornithologists have had a more significant impact than John Gould, but he had a lot of help along the way, particularly from his wife Elizabeth.
Sunbirds, of course, are well known as among the most beautiful birds in all the world, and as a group they seem to be doing pretty good. Only a handful of the near 140 species are really at risk, and despite being stunners they are not actively sought as cage birds. Insectivores with brush-like tongues for slurping nectar, they fulfill a similar niche to the hummingbirds of the New World. Ranging from northern Australia and across Africa, many sunbirds are found in Asia too…
When I mention the thought of combining purple, red and yellow, most people tend to look at me like I have two heads, but at the same time you can see how easily nature beautifully combined this palette and how lovely it is, with the chocolate brown grounding the design and mellowing it out some.
Whether you start a color scheme from a bird, rocks, water or some other thing in nature you will always have a winning color palette. Think about places you love or things like this bird that you enjoy looking at and how it makes you feel. This might just be the guide you are looking for to come up with the perfect color palette.
- This particular piece of art just seemed to tie-in perfectly to the feel and color scheme of the sunbird.
- The low clean lines of this sofa are reminiscent of the low-sitting furniture pieces that are often seen in some eastern cultures.
- The bonsai tree represents peace, balance and harmony. These are also all things that are the result of a well-designed space.
- This rug is just the perfect pop of purple against the red sofa.
- Floor pillows like this one from Boon Decor are a unique alternative to ottomans as additional seating.
- I love the fact that this lamp further solidifies the Asian feel in this space while also being clean-lined and contemporary.
We invite you to follow our blog by entering your email to receive our future posts about design, recipes, and Texas wine picks straight to your inbox. If you are already one of our fabulous followers, please share our posts on social media or with anyone you think would enjoy them. Help us reach our goal of 500 followers!
Designing spaces people love to live in,
All of the products featured in this post, other specified otherwise, can be purchased through Robin Bond Interiors.